The Poets of the Princes

  Picture of the project team

Project Team 

The Centre’s first project was an ambitious scheme to edit all the surviving poetry of the Poets of the Princes, who sang between c. 1100 and the Edwardian Conquest of 1282/3. This corpus of poetry contains some 12,600 lines, and throws new light on the historical and social background of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, as well as providing us with a wealth of information about the development of the Welsh language and its literature during this period.

This momentous work has been published in seven volumes under the general editorship of Professor Emeritus R. Geraint Gruffydd, the Centre’s first Director as a University institution. For further information, please contact Dr Ann Parry Owen.

The picture shows (from left to right) the late Professor J. E. Caerwyn Williams, Emeritus Professor R. Geraint Gruffydd, Dr Ann Parry Owen, Sister Nora Costigan (Bosco), and Dr Rhiannon Ifans.


Further resources

List of Poets

Index to the first lines of all the poems