Brought into being through the determination, enthusiasm for learning, and generosity of ordinary Welsh people, the establishment of the University of Wales by Royal Charter in 1893 was regarded as one of the most important political and social developments in the nineteenth century. The University of Wales has a long and proud history, playing an important role in the development of higher education in Wales.
Through the University’s support for the Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies (CAWCS), Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru (The Welsh Dictionary), Gregynog Hall (bequeathed to the University in the 1960’s) and the University of Wales Press, it helped to promote and celebrate the language, heritage and culture of Wales.
Over the years the University has adapted in order to be in a position to respond to the needs of students, both in Wales and further afield.
In October of 2011, the governing bodies of the University of Wales, Swansea Metropolitan University and the University of Wales Trinity Saint David made a commitment to irrevocable constitutional change and merger. The first phase of this process was completed in 2012 with the merger of University of Wales Trinity Saint David and Swansea Metropolitan University, as well as the created of Adduned Cymru -The Wales Pledge.
In August 2017, both the University of Wales and the University of Wales Trinity Saint David approved a deed of union which delivered on the original policy objective of integrating two historic Universities, thus creating a new University for Wales.
The transformed University will build upon the excellence and heritage of its founding institutions to drive forward a radical new education system that addresses the specific needs of Wales whilst also providing programmes that are attractive to students from all parts of the UK and internationally.
The Vice-Chancellor is Professor Medwin Hughes DL DPhil DPS FRSA.
For frequently asked questions regarding the University of Wales merger, please click here